Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

How to implement SMAA

05-24-2013, 12:47 PM
How to implement SMAA
Hi all,

I am a new RadeonPro user and am interested in implementing the SMAA option for a couple of games I am playing. I'm in need of instruction on how to implement this feature. I'm aware that the feature is related to sweetfx, but I'm unsure how and what exactly sweetfx is. Simply disabling in-game AA and checking the SMAA box in RadeonPro does not result in implementation, so I may well be doing something wrong:
-Is a download in addition to RadeonPro required (i.e., a sweetfx download)?

-If so, what needs to be done with that download?

-What in-game settings and radeon pro settings are necessary to implement SMAA?

-The games I am currently playing are Skyrim and SWTOR

Many thanks,
Roguish98
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2013, 06:14 AM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2013 06:15 AM by John.)
RE: How to implement SMAA
You don't need Sweetfx if you just want to use SMAA, the latter is a RadeonPro built-in feature.

In order to use it you must either create a profile for your game and set SMAA in Visual tab or set SMAA in Global profile which in turn will apply SMAA in all games you play. The 2nd option only works if you have Global API monitoring enabled. See more about API monitoring here.

RadeonPro Users Guide - RadeonPro Features
05-29-2013, 12:41 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2013 12:45 AM by roguish98.)
Thank you for your reply, John. SMAA appears not to be working for me when I set it in the visual tab- with regards to swtor. I disable in-game aa and leave aa unchecked in radeon pro. I then check smaa, set to ultra, and launch. It does not appear to implement, toggling it off and on also does not appear to work. I have this problem for skyrim as well. I don't expect you can test every game John, but do you or any of your other users have further advice?

I should also mention that although, I use windows 7, I have been running swtor in xp compatibility mode for performance reasons- just in case that may have some relevance.
Thank you.
05-29-2013, 12:51 AM
Skyrim works flawlessly here, just pick up TESV.exe and create a profile for it. Not sure about SWTOR though, looks like some users are having issues if you read the forums or the community posts here or other forums.

Also check if you're running your games with same user account used by RadeonPro. You can't start RP with normal user privileges and the game with elevated privileges (and vice-versa) or RP won't detect the game.

Other things that can defeat RadeonPro are mods and D3D9.dll custom files.

05-29-2013, 01:02 AM
(05-29-2013 12:51 AM)John Wrote:  Skyrim works flawlessly here, just pick up TESV.exe and create a profile for it. Not sure about SWTOR though, looks like some users are having issues if you read the forums or the community posts here or other forums.

Also check if you're running your games with same user account used by RadeonPro. You can't start RP with normal user privileges and the game with elevated privileges (and vice-versa) or RP won't detect the game.

Other things that can defeat RadeonPro are mods and D3D9.dll custom files.

Thanks John. Are you using any custom launcher settings in radeon pro for skyrim? Specifically for steam? Also, what should I set radeon pro traditional aa settings to?
05-29-2013, 01:10 AM
No, a launcher isn't needed for Skyrim.

Keep all AA settings to Controlled by application and use in-game AA and/or post-processing AA provided by RP.

05-29-2013, 01:32 AM
(05-29-2013 01:10 AM)John Wrote:  No, a launcher isn't needed for Skyrim.

Keep all AA settings to Controlled by application and use in-game AA and/or post-processing AA provided by RP.

Okay, I'll work with what you've provided me when I return from my business trip and report back. Thank you again.
05-29-2013, 01:42 AM
You're welcome Smile