Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

'Movies' option and Series 7800 no go?

05-21-2013, 01:36 AM
'Movies' option and Series 7800 no go?
Hi Folks,
I had the Beta version of 1.1.1.0 and now the official preview version but could not get the Movies option to work on either. I have a HD 7850PE card and I have been trying to record FSX while in flight and/or playback but nothing seems to work there.

The manual doesn't go into too much about this and I wonder if anyone knows a work-around if the RP version and the AMD cards don't play well together?
Thanks, Rich
PS I assigned 'Ctrl + F11' as the hot key for on/off and 'Ctrl + F12' for the Screenshots, (which DO work).

Windows 7 HP 64 Bit, I7 2600K 5ghz, MSI R7850PE 1040/1440, 8GB RAM, Asrock Z77 Extreme4 mobo, OCZ 700W PSU.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2013, 02:41 PM
RE: 'Movies' option and Series 7800 no go?
OK, I got that going. I was holding down the keys too long and it would 'cycle' on and then off over and over. So i did two videos and they're both completely blacked out but the sound is great.

This can be because of a number of reasons no withstanding the fact that I have 'turned off' several functions/options in the startup programs and services. I have NO idea where to start looking and I can say that I tested the default video capabilities of my system by running Windows Media Player.

I used their sample videos and it worked fine. I'm a still life photographer and have all kinds of experience and programs related to that. Among many of the programs I have, I use PS CS6 Extended the most but I absolutely SUCK at even the most basic understanding of video!

So if there's anyone out there inclined to point me in the right direction as to why I get a blacked out screen in my videos, (remember, the sound is perfect), please let me know.
Thanks, Rich
05-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Anyone want to try taking a shot at this? Is this a Codec problem maybe?
05-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Well, though I feel like I'm talking to myself, this may be useful to someone who finds themselves in a similar situation:

Okay so as I mentioned earlier, I figured out that the problem regarding starting or stopping the video process was simply that I was holding down the command key too long. So now I just 'poke' the F11 command key and everything works great.

But the other problem was that I couldn't see the video in playback. The audio works fine but the screen was blacked out. That turned out to be because I can only use two "video sizes". My screen resolution is 1080P and so I must have "normal" or "1080P" as a setting.

I had chosen "720P" and I also tried "1/2" and the result was a black screen. Unfortunately, this means that when I take videos at 30 frames per second, I'm averaging 250 MB of information per minute! I was hoping that a smaller setting in the "video sizes" would reduce that problem because I knew the videos would be big.

I do a lot of flying at dusk and dawn and any information that is required in lowlight when taking this video is apparently going to be huge under those conditions. But it does take great video and sound and frankly, even if I couldn't get Radeon Pro's video option to work I would've still kept using Radeon Pro because it does a great job.

I do plan to make a donation though I would've done it a little quicker if I would have gotten a reply on this topic. But I do know it's freeware and unsupported and it's well worth even more than what I will be donating.
FWIW, Rich
05-22-2013, 11:41 PM
That black screen movies with different resolution might be a bug with FSX. Can you try with other games to see if the issue can be replicated? Thanks in advance.

RadeonPro Users Guide - RadeonPro Features
07-16-2013, 06:31 AM
(05-22-2013 09:08 PM)wingclip Wrote:  ....
But the other problem was that I couldn't see the video in playback. The audio works fine but the screen was blacked out. That turned out to be because I can only use two "video sizes". My screen resolution is 1080P and so I must have "normal" or "1080P" as a setting.

I had chosen "720P" and I also tried "1/2" and the result was a black screen...
I have same problem like @wingclip but if I use MSI AB to record video I can use any "video/frame size" and have picture in video Huh
Try with War Thunder and ArmA.
07-16-2013, 01:53 PM
(07-16-2013 06:31 AM)Horus Wrote:  
(05-22-2013 09:08 PM)wingclip Wrote:  ....

I had chosen "720P" and I also tried "1/2" and the result was a black screen...
I have same problem like @wingclip but if I use MSI AB to record video I can use any "video/frame size" and have picture in video Huh
Try with War Thunder and ArmA.

Hi, Is MSI AB an overclocker or is it just focused on video capture? What I mean is, will it conflict with TRIXX which is what I'm presently using to O/C. The reason for using TRIXX is because all the other GPU O/C software I tried would not let me get more than 1.175Volts to the card.

MSI's O/C software would 'slide' to any voltage I wanted BUT wouldn't actually permit more than 1.75v to get through. What's crazy is; the GPU is an MSI RADEON 7850 Power Edition, (R7850PE). You'd think that would get full permition from the MSI OC stuff... Go figure.
Rich
07-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Hi, I don't use RP and MSI AB at same time. From 2.2.0 MSI AB support your card
Quote:Added core, memory and auxiliary VDDCI voltage control for custom design MSI R7850 Power Edition series graphics cards with
uP1637+uP6262 voltage regulators

Install last 3.0.0 beta 11 version and try to OC your card and don't go over 1.200V.
[Image: rp.jpg]
07-17-2013, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2013 02:47 PM by wingclip.)
(07-16-2013 06:57 PM)Horus Wrote:  Hi, I don't use RP and MSI AB at same time. From 2.2.0 MSI AB support your card
Quote:Added core, memory and auxiliary VDDCI voltage control for custom design MSI R7850 Power Edition series graphics cards with
uP1637+uP6262 voltage regulators

Install last 3.0.0 beta 11 version and try to OC your card and don't go over 1.200V.
[Image: rp.jpg]

Thanks for the info. But why don't you go over 1.200volts?! With all due respect, I lost count of how many people are clocking to 1150 MHz on the core of the 7850PE. Every single one of them were running at least 1.230v or better.

I'm just asking because I already run my card at 1.2 volts with TRIXX. That’s as high as it'll go and unfortunately, that's not high enough to keep the core stable at 1020 MHz

As it is, I have the card set to 1015 MHz core & 1420 MHz memory with 1.200volts and a headroom buffer of 10% permitting a max of 1.212 volts for a short 'punch up'. But even so, I still can't hold the stability if I run the core to 1.020 MHz or more when it gets hit with a small demand from a hi-res scenery or something like that.

The card hasn't seen a temperature higher than 48C so I know it's not the temps. I may try the Beta MSI but I've been told to download previous versions of the MSI OC programs several times before with people swearing that it’ll permit as much as 1.37volts, (or some ridiculous amount).

So I would but after going through the complete removal of the OC program I had, (which was always TRIXX because it COULD go to 1.2volts), I’d find that MSI’s software capped the voltage at 1.175v even though the slider would go way past that.

A little funny story IMO: Some of the people who insisted that I could get the voltage I wanted with that program, didn’t realize that even though the slider will go way beyond 1.2 volts, they were only getting 1.175v max.

So when I’d come back and tell them what was going on, they’d insist their card ran better when they had it turned up to 1.25v/1.27v. But after I convinced them to check that voltage against monitoring software rather than accepting the readout they were looking at in the MSI panel, they would, and they’d just about freak out, 1.175 volts! lol.

It wasn’t any fault or problem with the MSI software because it clearly stated that it would not permit any more than 1.175 volts to the card in the information that came with it. It was just that these few people didn’t read that part and for some reason, they thought they were getting better results after they slipped that slider up there to 1.25v.

What was interesting, if not a little funny, was that the mere fact that they thought they had been sending 1.27v to their cards had some kind of ‘placebo effect’ and when they realized they weren’t getting that voltage, they all started complaining that their graphics began to suffer again! Seriously, I think it was in the overclock.net site but I’m talking about a year or more since I read it.

I’m not saying this is the case now; I’m just sharing that little bit of humor because it was related to the subject. Anyway, I never have tried a Beta version of the MSI software and if I get a little time, I may. But it requires me to do a careful and complete removal of TRIXX first, as I said earlier.

I went through that twice, (both times for what was supposed to be the MSI software that’ll really allow the voltage increase to 1.25v+), only to find that it didn’t and I had to go through the entire removal and re-installation process again. The thing was that there were some people who REALLY did get their 7850 to go to those 1.25+v with TRIXX but TRIXX only allowed the slide to 1.200 volts for my card. WTF?! Exclamation

Back when I was going to order the card, I called and spoke DIRECTLY to the MSI 7850PE project, lead engineer, (I only wish I could remember his name), to verify which of the two MSI R7850’s I should go with if I wanted to OC. He had me read the serial number, (or maybe it was the part numbers), of each card to him as given on the Newegg website.

He immediately ID’s the MSI R7850PE, (Power Edition), as the one that was built with the better cooling materials and would clock the highest as opposed to the “MSI R7850 Twin Frozer”… I don’t knowUndecided, I checked the UEFI in the mobo but I can’t see what, if anything, is maybe blocking the volts to the GPU so that it won’t let me go any higher.

Well, thanks again! That was a “FWIW” bit of info. I completely understand if it’s more than you care to read, because I can get ‘wordy’ lol.
Rich

(05-22-2013 11:41 PM)John Wrote:  That black screen movies with different resolution might be a bug with FSX. Can you try with other games to see if the issue can be replicated? Thanks in advance.

Hi John, Sorry for getting back here so long after the fact. I need to check my settings in the user profile because I don't think I was ever notified that you replied.

I figured that since I had figured out the problem and posted it, the thread would probably be left alone. Anyway, FWIW, I also fly ROF and A10 Warthog so I can give it a try there. I don't have any of the other games, (not too big on the "shoot-em-up" style games really).

BTW, I also want to apologize for my forgetting to donate and AS SOON as I finish this post, I'm going there so I will not have to count on my faulty calendar reminders.
So thanks again, and great product!
Rich
07-17-2013, 09:13 PM
I told you that because I thinking about GPU temp but if you don't go over 80°C it's ok.
Use GPU-Z to find ASIC Quality for your GPU. Try to increase your Power Limit and see if that helps to boost OC.

@John can you pls try to make video in ArmA CO with 1/2 Video size...to see if we have problem on our side Blush or something else is problem.