Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

[XP] Port of 1.1.1.0

04-08-2013, 09:18 AM
[XP] Port of 1.1.1.0
Howdy there. First post is a request, but it's as good as any, eh?

Anyway, I found out that the latest versions of RadeonPro don't support XP. This is a right peeper, as I have downgraded from 7 to XP due to old games not being able to make use of hardware acceleration for DirectSound.
It'd be fantastic if RadeonPro was ported over to XP. I can't go back to the CCC after using it. It's just fabulous.

Now, not being a programmer, I don't know how difficult this would be or what the problems are that prevent it from being run on XP. Is it possible for any detail to be given as to why it doesn't work on XP?
Also, are there plans to make future versions compatible with XP?

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2013, 10:24 AM
RE: [XP] Port of 1.1.1.0
New features like DVC are not possible to be implemented in XP, other than that XP doesn't support DX10 and a lot of other things that might just slowdown RP development.

Out of curiosity, why do you need RP for old games that don't run in Vista and newer versions of Windows?

RadeonPro Users Guide - RadeonPro Features
04-08-2013, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 04:08 PM by MajinCry.)
- The ability to use several injectors at once; SMAA, FXAA and SweetFX is amazing. I can get a damn good AA solution which doesn't cripple my 6670 by using the two AA methods, and SweetFX makes EVERY dull, dreary-gray game suddenly bright, colorful and downright pretty.

- Being able to edit the mipmap settings so as to get a significant performance gain. ATT crashes my games for some reason in XP, so I can't do it through that.

- Being able to permanently set the affinity of my games; non quad-threaded games, such as Neverwinter Nights and Rome: Total War, allows me to throw away a bazillion problems without potentially crashing the game by use of alt-tab.

- I found that if I set the refresh rate, in RP, to something non-native to my monitor (40hz, for example) and then turn on VSync, I get VSync at that custom refresh rate. No screen-tear at an utterly stable 40fps, rather than a juddery 30/60fps, is very attractive to me.

Those are the main four. It's just that it's a shame to be left out in the cold for my old games; they'd look many times better with, say, the saturation increase that SweetFX allows for. Without having to fuddle about with my monitor all the time.
04-08-2013, 06:11 PM
I see, but you can do all those things in Windows Vista/7/8. Sure you won't be able to use DirectSound but I guess you'll need to pick what's more important Sad

Unfortunately I can't help because XP isn't supported anymore for the reasons already explained.

04-08-2013, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 06:58 PM by MajinCry.)
Gah. That is quite a frustration, but RP is free. Can't complain about it.

Would it be a possibility that, in the future when RP development has "matured", that a one-time port will be made? Y'know, essentially cutting out the parts that won't function in XP.

Doesnae hurt to ask...Hopefully.

Edit: I misinterpreted your post. The reason I use XP instead of 7, is because DirectSound is a major component for ALL my all-time faves.(The chances, eh?) Freespace 2, Neverwinter Nights, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Morrowind, Fallout New Vegas (Don't know about this one, but I suspect it to be so) and Spore (If memory serves). May not sound like many, but they are my fav's. In 7, I.E without DirectSound, performance is heavily hampered. Oblivion, for example, runs at a stuttery 25 fps. On XP, it runs at a smooth 60.

Sorry about that.
04-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Oh, wasn't aware of that performance hit when using DSound in Windows 7. Are you sure OpenAL in Windows 7 doesn't help with DSound?

04-11-2013, 07:53 AM
No. They're as different as DirectX and OpenGL.

Microsoft's stance on it, was to say that software developers should re-program the games and programs, that use DirectSound, to use OpenAL.
08-02-2013, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 05:30 PM by Hyram.)
I'm with MajinCry, I'd love an "XP Classic" version of RP, and for pretty much identical reasons, especially sound. Where most game enthusiasts go to often insane lengths to get those smooth and fast visual framerates, I do with audio. (Ever played DOOM 3 in a pitch-black room with the only light coming from the 72" projection screen as sixteen hundred watts of precision Class-A 5.1 channel audio thump you in the chest? No? As one friend commented after having a go with my rig, "It's pants-shittingly awesome!" Smile)

Compared to both OpenAL and DirectSound, WASAPI is a festering bowl of mutated dingo vomit. And I will go so far to state categorically that DirectSound, even as far back as DirectX 5, makes the current OpenAL feel anaemic by comparison. New DX10/11 titles may look pretty, but they sound horribly lifeless. Generation-spanning titles like Far Cry 3 and Crysis 2 can run on XP-and-DX9 systems as well as the current DX10/11 systems, and whilst the older system may not look as pretty, the audio is leaps and bounds ahead -- the virtual world is much more 'alive' under DX9 because there's several more layers of audio cues that are just not present under the newer OS, and whilst you don't consciously notice the difference, your subconscious definitely does. Until iSound gains wider acceptance, nothing holds a flaming pitchfork to DirectSound.

I think its fair to say that as long as AMD support XP, you should too Smile
08-03-2013, 05:06 PM
I understand that an XP version of RP might help you guys out there still using Windows XP, but as I already explained it would take a lot of time to develop and maintain, leave alone some RadeonPro functions that aren't possible to implement in Windows XP.

About the fact that AMD supports it, you must keep in mind that developing RadeonPro is a hobby for me, different from AMD that actually must support XP as long there are people using that version of Windows.

08-03-2013, 08:12 PM
I say just take what you can from 1.1.1.0, port over what you can, do some bug testing and just leave it at that. No need to maintain it so as to keep up with the Windows 7 version, as that would just be an unnecessary workload.

Of course, that is supposing you can be bothered doing so. 'Tis a suggestion, not a demand.