Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

For video game recording. Also encoding/transcoding of videos.

03-12-2014, 04:37 AM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2014 05:39 AM by Crow550.)
For video game recording. Also encoding/transcoding of videos.
Aside from adding AMD's hardware assist encoding / transcoding that's been around since the early HD cards right? Could you also use the Mobo's integrated AMD video card for this too?

Can you also add Intel's Quick Sync support as well?

Just wondering? Would be nice to capture in full or near 60fps by having the task off loaded a bit from the CPU. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2014, 02:33 AM
RE: For video game recording....
Nope, only VCE present on HD 7000 and newer series will be supported initially. Some APUs also support VCE and those should be compatible as well, however there's no advantages in off-loading video encoding in an APU if you already own a dGPU with VCE support because VCE is fixed function hardware that does not interfere with graphics processing - in other words the game frame rate doesn't drop due to VCE usage.

QuickSync might be added in future, though it seems a lot of pain to setup in Windows 7 (like having the user to hook a monitor cable onto onboard video input just to enable the Intel CPU on-die encoder)

RadeonPro Users Guide - RadeonPro Features
03-13-2014, 03:57 AM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2014 05:40 AM by Crow550.)
RE: For video game recording....
I don't think you need to plug in a monitor cable: http://mirillis.com/en/products/tutorial...ktops.html (could have changed with driver updates too.)

I only ask since I own two PCs.

One has Intel's QuickSync tech with a HD6950 and another PC with an integrated HD3200 and HD4670.

Also on the topic of off loading encoding / transcoding.... Figured I could get some use out of the integrated tech.
03-13-2014, 10:00 AM
RE: For video game recording. Also encoding/transcoding of videos.
Hmm, never tried QuickSync with Windows 7 but read something about it in MSI Afterburner release notes that mention the monitor cable thing. Good to know, thanks.

HD 3/4000 series might have an encoder built-in but I don't know if it can be instrumented like VCE. If you find something about that, please, let me know.

03-13-2014, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2014 10:34 PM by Crow550.)
(03-13-2014 10:00 AM)John Wrote:  Hmm, never tried QuickSync with Windows 7 but read something about it in MSI Afterburner release notes that mention the monitor cable thing. Good to know, thanks.

HD 3/4000 series might have an encoder built-in but I don't know if it can be instrumented like VCE. If you find something about that, please, let me know.

AMD/ATI has had the Avivo tech for quite awhile for off loading transcoding/encoding: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Avivo

Doing Google searches for AMD video encoding or AMD video transcoding does pull up some interesting findings. (Even replacing AMD with ATI in the search.)
03-17-2014, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2014 08:55 PM by Crow550.)
Hope this stuff helps. Looking forward to the next version RadeonPro. Will the new version have a system for quicker maybe smaller updates or will it still be whenever you can get around to it. Wink
03-17-2014, 09:02 PM
Sorry but I have no plans to integrate old AMD tech in future RP builds. Intel QuickSync is planned though.

03-17-2014, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2014 09:11 PM by Crow550.)
Awesome for QuickSync. Let me know if you need a tester. Wink Would help my FPS when capturing! LOL!

Darn for the older tech not being used as it was half used when they designed it in the first place it seems. Tongue Keep in mind that many Gamers with older series of cards use RadeonPro to squeeze more performance out of there cards. ;P

Thanks and keep up the great work!
03-20-2014, 10:05 AM
Doesn't OpenCL that's on a number of HD cards do encoding too: http://developer.amd.com/community/blog/...coder-2-0/

How is the newer method in AMD cards different from this? Just curious.

Also setup Intel QuickSync and did a test re-encode with the latest beta of Handbreak. Was pretty zippy.