Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Dynamic Framerate Control under Mantle?

02-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Dynamic Framerate Control under Mantle?
New versions will support Dynamic Frame Rate Control under Mantle?

This fixes stuttering on BF4, would be greatly appreciated Wink

Thx!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2014, 03:56 PM
RE: Dynamic Framerate Control under Mantle?
It's planned, of course.

For BF4 you can cap the frame rate using its console.

http://bftips.com/2013/10/command-to-lim...lefield-4/

RadeonPro Users Guide - RadeonPro Features
02-02-2014, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2014 08:55 PM by nikkoAK.)
Thx, i know this command, caps framerate but that not solves the stuttering in BF4. Dynamic Framerate Control + Flip queue size 1 do it. In DX at least.
02-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Did you try Renderdevice.Renderaheadlimit 1?

02-02-2014, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2014 10:17 PM by nikkoAK.)
I'll try and tell you how it works. Thanks a lot Wink

I've been testing a bit. Seems to improve, ie, still stuttering, but is more brief. I tried with 1 and 3 and both seem to give the same result.
02-26-2014, 08:00 AM
(02-02-2014 09:50 PM)nikkoAK Wrote:  I'll try and tell you how it works. Thanks a lot Wink

I've been testing a bit. Seems to improve, ie, still stuttering, but is more brief. I tried with 1 and 3 and both seem to give the same result.

Did it end up working?

So John, does DFC not work at all with the Mantle drivers? What if you're playing a DirectX game (while using Mantle drivers)?

I thought maybe the API would be the same for RP to use, since DirectX hasn't been changed with these new Mantle drivers (so I've heard).
02-26-2014, 09:47 AM
DirectX and Mantle are distinct things... one can't play a DirectX game using Mantle drivers. What you got with latest Catalyst 14.x betas is a Mantle-compatible driver for games enabled with that tecnology.

02-27-2014, 09:12 AM
(02-26-2014 09:47 AM)John Wrote:  DirectX and Mantle are distinct things... one can't play a DirectX game using Mantle drivers. What you got with latest Catalyst 14.x betas is a Mantle-compatible driver for games enabled with that tecnology.

My understanding is that the latest AMD package (14.x) comes with modules for both Mantle and DX. In the guru3d thread, users have mentioned about their experience with DX games while on the Mantle drivers. So I'm confused which is which.

Does that mean that 14.x has some sort of DX-compatibility mode to be able to play DX-only games?
02-27-2014, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2014 02:15 PM by sun500.)
(02-27-2014 09:12 AM)Coldblackice Wrote:  
(02-26-2014 09:47 AM)John Wrote:  DirectX and Mantle are distinct things... one can't play a DirectX game using Mantle drivers. What you got with latest Catalyst 14.x betas is a Mantle-compatible driver for games enabled with that tecnology.

My understanding is that the latest AMD package (14.x) comes with modules for both Mantle and DX. In the guru3d thread, users have mentioned about their experience with DX games while on the Mantle drivers. So I'm confused which is which.

Does that mean that 14.x has some sort of DX-compatibility mode to be able to play DX-only games?
14.x contain both DX and Mantle API support. So yeah, it contains full support for both directx and mantle.

As John said, directx is just the way game communicates with the graphic card, and mantle is another way of doing the same. They are separate things with their own features, however they both serve a same goal.

14.x drivers contain same DX features as drivers before(incl 13.12 whql) and some improvements, while also containing, on top of the instructions for handling DX games, a set instructions for supporting mantle.

The game runs either Mantle mode, or Directx mode by default or by specific option present in the game settings themselves (BF4 for instance has both DX and Mantle, one can pick which one of those two to have).

As it is now, RP hooks up only on games running via DirectX, while it does logically not support games running via Mantle, until John gets that going.
02-28-2014, 08:10 AM
(02-27-2014 02:09 PM)sun500 Wrote:  
(02-27-2014 09:12 AM)Coldblackice Wrote:  

14.x contain both DX and Mantle API support. So yeah, it contains full support for both directx and mantle.

As John said, directx is just the way game communicates with the graphic card, and mantle is another way of doing the same. They are separate things with their own features, however they both serve a same goal.

14.x drivers contain same DX features as drivers before(incl 13.12 whql) and some improvements, while also containing, on top of the instructions for handling DX games, a set instructions for supporting mantle.

The game runs either Mantle mode, or Directx mode by default or by specific option present in the game settings themselves (BF4 for instance has both DX and Mantle, one can pick which one of those two to have).

As it is now, RP hooks up only on games running via DirectX, while it does logically not support games running via Mantle, until John gets that going.

Ok, that was my understanding how the 14.x's work. So because they essentially contain the past 13.12 DX modules, does that mean RP will be able to interact and function as before (prior to Mantle-enabled 14.x's)? Or, because of the new 14.x "packaging", in addition to the extra Mantle module, does RP not yet know how to interact with them?

In other words -- RP works with the 13.12's. Given that the 13.12's module are in the 14.x's, can RP still work on DX games with 14.x installed? Or has the outer "package" and "puppet strings" of 14.x changed such that RP isn't properly aligning with the new layout as before (sort of like new hex offsets being misaligned)?