Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

A few thoughts - Please read John!

10-27-2013, 02:48 AM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2013 08:55 PM by Keeper.)
A few thoughts - Please read John!
Your program is amazing, thought I was going to be using an awkward setup of dxtory (framerate cap) and d3doverrider (triple buffering) forever. Plus it has tons of extra useful features Tongue
I do have a few issues with it -
-The fps counter hotkey only allows you to alternate between 5 modes (the 4 corners, and off). I'd like to have a hotkey that toggles on/off for 1 corner.
-I'd also like to be able to set individual folders for screenshots/videos, for each game
-My main issue. When I enable dynamic v-sync, I get random framerate drops in areas that I get 100+ FPS when vsync is off. Also, the framerate drops do not happen with normal vsync, regardless of triple buffering is off or not. I'd like to know why this is, and whether it can be fixed or not?
-Also, I'd like to be able to set a maximum framerate for dynamic vsync. For instance, 30 FPS cap and drop vsync when it goes below, to imitate what many console games do.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2013, 12:18 AM
RE: A few thoughts - Please read John!
You're welcome Smile

Yeah, I guess a hotkey to toggle all OSD would be nice, currently you must press a lot of keys if you have all OSD active and want to hide the OSD panel, the GPU stats and the big FPS counter. Let me add it to my TODO list Smile

The separated folders for each game's screenshots/videos suggestion is already in place on infinity.

Which game (or games) are showing that framerate drops? It can be replicated all the time?

RadeonPro Users Guide - RadeonPro Features
10-29-2013, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2013 08:30 PM by Keeper.)
(10-29-2013 12:18 AM)John Wrote:  You're welcome Smile

Yeah, I guess a hotkey to toggle all OSD would be nice, currently you must press a lot of keys if you have all OSD active and want to hide the OSD panel, the GPU stats and the big FPS counter. Let me add it to my TODO list Smile

The separated folders for each game's screenshots/videos suggestion is already in place on infinity.

Which game (or games) are showing that framerate drops? It can be replicated all the time?

It seems the drops happen across all games. I'm going to do a few tests then report back. It may be something on my end, lemme check.

Ok, it seems to happen in all games. Even in very low requirement games like CS GO, which gets an average of 200 FPS and a minimum of like 160 on my computer. The behavior is as follows:
The game stutters, drops v-sync for like a second and the frame rate goes to 58. This all happens in the course of a second but it's kinda annoying especially since I know games won't do it with regular vsync (provided they can surpass 60 FPS, of course). Of course I'd just use regular vsync but games have highly variable performance so there will always be those areas where the rate goes below 60 even on high end hardware and I'd rather have tearing in those areas than have the game stutter a lot.
11-05-2013, 11:35 PM
I was playing an UE3 game (ENSLAVED Odyssey to the West) and it does not play nice with DVC, causing the framerate to vary from 55~60 fps all the time when it should keep a steady 60 FPS (without vsync the game runs at constant 62 FPS)

So maybe some engines might be fighting with DVC trying to smooth out frame times or something related to that.

11-07-2013, 09:41 PM
(11-05-2013 11:35 PM)John Wrote:  I was playing an UE3 game (ENSLAVED Odyssey to the West) and it does not play nice with DVC, causing the framerate to vary from 55~60 fps all the time when it should keep a steady 60 FPS (without vsync the game runs at constant 62 FPS)

So maybe some engines might be fighting with DVC trying to smooth out frame times or something related to that.

One of the games it was happening with was BioShock Infinite... also a UE3 title. On the other hand Battlefield 3 does not experience this issue. I guess I'll just set vsync-off for titles with this issue, as I'd prefer to avoid the judder that comes with vsync-ing a frame rate that doesn't evenly divide into the refresh rate.

One more question: When DVC is enabled it checks and grews out "lock framerate up to monitor's refresh rate"
Does that mean in addition the the "cap" already imposed by vsync, it also does an actual cap of 60?
I have found capping at refresh rate with vsync reduces the input lag associated with vsync so I hope it does Smile
11-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Are you running 2 or more cards in CF? An HD 7990 owner was having trouble with DVC (lots of frame rate drops in a game that runs 100+ FPS without vsync) and he discovered it was the driver Frame pacing fighting with DVC. As soon he turned of Frame pacing the frame rate become a rock solid 60 FPS.

Yes, that option caps the frame rate to refresh rate.