Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

[Info inside] Psuedo-Recording; Stutter Bug Fix

06-16-2013, 08:52 PM
[Info inside] Psuedo-Recording; Stutter Bug Fix
I'll try and keep it as short as possible.

Background info:

Some folk have experienced this wierd stuttering that, even though the framerate is at a level where everything should be silky smooth (30-120; depends on the person 'n' setup), certain games still stutter.

Bethesda's games do this to quite a few folk, though it is more pronounced in Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout NV. Skyrim seems to have solved the issue for some.

Solution:

The fix? By sheer hot-key stupidity, I accidentally pressed my hotkey for recording gameplay. Tah-dah! The stuttering was gone! Silky smooth framerates are mine!

Downside:

The issue with keeping RadeonPro on indefinite record, is that it can eat up HDD space and, for those without a secondary hard drive, performance.

What I recommend is a psuedo-recording. I.E, the frames are captured 'n' guff, but when it gets to writing to the hard drive, the written file is perpetually deleted/not made at all.

I tried to do something similar by making an automated batch file that empties the folder of my RadeonPro recordings every 1 minute, but it does't work due to the file being used by RadeonPro.

I don't know how possible this could be, but it'd be a significant boon for me; I love the Fallout games, so being able to play them smoothly would be fabulous.

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2013, 01:54 AM
RE: [Info inside] Psuedo-Recording; Stutter Bug Fix
I guess you should try DFC, currently RadeonPro enforces DFC while recording to smooth out movies.

RadeonPro Users Guide - RadeonPro Features
06-17-2013, 06:35 AM
(06-17-2013 01:54 AM)John Wrote:  I guess you should try DFC, currently RadeonPro enforces DFC while recording to smooth out movies.

That's the odd thing. With DFC on, the stutter is still there. Let me iterate:

The stutter is not due to framerates going up and down. In the areas I tested, I get a stable 45 fps. I clamp it down to 30, and the stuttering is still present.
Turning on the recording feature in RadeonPro, however, removes this stuttering.

It's a very odd solution, and it eats up HDD space. So if there was a feature that would "record" gameplay but would routinely delete the .avi files and make a new one without having to quit the game and do it manually, that'd be a sure fix for this wierd stuttering problem.
06-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Now that's odd, indeed.

Check your profile settings, try Flip Queue Size=1 to see if that value improves smoothness.

06-17-2013, 11:28 AM
(06-17-2013 11:12 AM)John Wrote:  Now that's odd, indeed.

Check your profile settings, try Flip Queue Size=1 to see if that value improves smoothness.

Trust me, if there was any other setting that would help at all, I'd have found it by now. I've ticked every damn box and changed every damn number in several programs (CCC, AtiTrayTools, RadeonPro, various d3d9.dll injectors that supposedly help with this problem, etc.), and the only thing that makes any difference (And it completely removes the problem) is recording inside RadeonPro.

But yeah. Changing the FQS to 1 made no difference whatsoever.

If my idea about implementing a psuedo-recording feature is too inconvenient, perhaps make a setting that allows gameplay to be recorded at a resolution of 1x1? Should make the performance impact made by the recording negligible.
06-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Sorry, I wasn't aware of your skills so I had to suggest that, too bad it doesn't work as expected.

I think we can make some tests, like an additional DFC mode that mimics video recording while not saving anything to disk just to see if that improves smoothness somehow.

06-17-2013, 03:58 PM
FWIW, I've noticed that writing the recordings to my SSD gets rid of the stutter you're talking. Might be a different issue you're having but I just thought I'd throw this in here.
06-17-2013, 04:16 PM
(06-17-2013 03:58 PM)SupaSerious Wrote:  FWIW, I've noticed that writing the recordings to my SSD gets rid of the stutter you're talking. Might be a different issue you're having but I just thought I'd throw this in here.

It's probably the same stutter. Does it look like frames are missing even though you're framerate would dictate that there is none? E.G, you've got 30fps but it looks like you've got 20?

If so, yeah, it's the same.
06-17-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm 99% sure we're talking about the same thing. If I've got time, I could do some tests tomorrow just to be sure.
06-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Have you tried disabling some CPU cores for those games?
I have noticed that some games did what you are describing on my quad-core, disabling the last two cores fixed the issue.