Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Extra video capture options

06-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Extra video capture options
Just a couple of things I think would make the video capture feature a lot more flexible:
  1. An option to turn framerate locking on or off. If you're recording at a very low framerate, the framerate locking can make the game almost unplayable. Being able to turn it off so the game could run at multiples of the recording framerate, similar to Fraps, would be awesome.
  2. The ability to use encoders other than Motion JPEG. If there are any alternative encoders installed on the user's system, it would be cool to be able to use them; especially lossless encoders like Lagarith and HuffYUV.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2013, 10:02 PM
RE: Extra video capture options
Hello,

I did some changes to RP recording code and made some tests following your 1st suggestion, then made a quick run in BF3 using both FRAPS and RP with capture framerate set to 60. With FRAPS the framerate locked at 60 FPS (dropped from 84 FPS) and with RP it dropped to 74 FPS (quality level was 85%). FRAPS file ended with 1.04 GB for 16 seconds of recording, RP file is way smaller with 189 MB for 21 seconds.

About the use of other encoders, I'll need to make lots of changes to make it possible, not sure if it's worth the work.

Out of curiosity, I did some profiling and Motion JPEG proven to be very fast, taking only 0.0015 milliseconds to process a frame at 1920x1200 in my rig. Of course it's not the only portion of code that eats CPU cycles - there's the code to sample the audio, grab the frame, transfer the frame bits to CPU for processing and recording it to disk, those steps also take a bit of CPU time.

RadeonPro Users Guide - RadeonPro Features
06-14-2013, 07:23 AM
RE: Extra video capture options
(06-12-2013 10:02 PM)John Wrote:  I did some changes to RP recording code and made some tests following your 1st suggestion, then made a quick run in BF3 using both FRAPS and RP with capture framerate set to 60.

Nice, thanks for working on it.

Did you test at a low recording framerate as well, which was kind of the point? For example, if you set the recording framerate to 30fps do you get a multiple of that as your in-game framerate; does your game render at 60fps, 90fps, or some other multiple of 30?

The idea is that if your computer can cope with rendering at 2x or 3x or 4x the recording framerate, that's what you'll see, and the recording software will just save every 2nd, 3rd or 4th frame.

That way you don't need to record at 60fps to get 60fps in-game.

(06-12-2013 10:02 PM)John Wrote:  About the use of other encoders, I'll need to make lots of changes to make it possible, not sure if it's worth the work.

Fair enough. I have no idea how much work would be involved in it. I just thought a lossless option would be a nice feature since Motion JPEG is inherently lossy, even at 100% quality.