Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Radeon Pro simply will not function in Windows 8.1. Please help.

01-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Radeon Pro simply will not function in Windows 8.1. Please help.
Hello everyone,

I have been completely unable to get RadeonPro to work with Windows 8.1 x64.

I install it fine. But when I open it, the notification tray icon shows up at the bottom right of the screen. But when I move my mouse over to click it to open the program, the tray icon disappears. I cannot open the program no matter what I do. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the video card drivers several times. I have tried to install the program in safe mode. I have tried to run it in test signing mode. I have tried running it in administrator mode and every compatibility mode. But I still cannot open the program.

I have seen other threads speaking about this problem but I haven't come across a real fix.

Can someone help me?

Just so you know, my PC specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel i7 920 overclocked to 4ghz
Motherboard: EVGA Classified3 x58 motherboard
Video card: Radeon 7970 3Ghz edition
Hard Drive: 500gb Samsung 840 Evo

I would really appreciate some assistance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2014, 10:35 AM
RE: Radeon Pro simply will not function in Windows 8.1. Please help.
Are you using High DPI fonts in Windows desktop?

RadeonPro Users Guide - RadeonPro Features
01-03-2014, 10:59 AM
(01-03-2014 10:35 AM)John Wrote:  Are you using High DPI fonts in Windows desktop?

No I'm not. It is just the default settings. To double check just in case, I did try other DPI settings (even though I was already set on the smallest settings) and nothing changed.

I have Bitdefender Antivirus and Comodo firewall installed but I already created exceptions for the RadeonPro program so they shouldn't be interfering with it starting up.

I really don't know what is going on. Do you have any other suggestions?
01-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Something is interfering with RadeonPro startup, check your antivirus and firewall logs as they might have some useful information.

My only suggestion is try with a minimal set of background programs running.

01-03-2014, 01:43 PM
(01-03-2014 11:28 AM)John Wrote:  Something is interfering with RadeonPro startup, check your antivirus and firewall logs as they might have some useful information.

My only suggestion is try with a minimal set of background programs running.

Thanks for the help but I just shut down all the virus scanners and startup programs and processes, reboot and the same thing happened again.

Sometimes I don't even have to click on the RadeonPro icon on the taskbar. Just hovering over it with my mouse makes the icon disappear.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do. I have had this problem happen before. I did have RadeonPro running a while back on Windows 8.1 but it was experiencing some different problems.

I am just wondering if there are any known problems with x64 Windows 8.1 and RadeonPro? Because I just can't make this thing work.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
01-03-2014, 03:49 PM
I tried one more thing but with no effect. I was using tweaked drivers (Tweakforce) so I thought maybe that was effecting the ability of RadeonPro to run. Well I uninstalled those drivers and installed the latest official drivers and then reinstalled RadeonPro. And still it won't run.

It loads up in the tray and if I even move my mouse over it, the icon disappears.

Yet the RadeonPro Support Service is running. It seems that the radeonpro.exe file launches the service but not the actual program.

I really want to use the features of RadeonPro yet I cannot figure this thing out.

If you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

I'll post my question elsewhere as well.
01-03-2014, 06:56 PM
I got it to work! I don't know why, but when RadeonPro installs to the default location, it didn't run. But if I created a folder anywhere else on the computer and installed it there it worked and starts up no problem.

I am having a slightly different problem however. I just created a profile for Battlefield 4 but it doesn't seem that the settings are being applied.

I am launching the game from within RadeonPro. I turned all the settings on to see if it would effect the game. I turned on high AA, FXAA, SMAA, Ambient Occlusion, Tesselation Control and even SweetFX.

They don't seem to be applied to the game when I run it.

Plus I cannot get it to toggle FPS counter. And none of the other keys to toggle effects or enable features seem to have any effect.

Do you know what could be going wrong?

Your help in getting this set up properly is very appreciated.
01-03-2014, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2014 11:07 PM by John.)
That's odd but at least you got it working.

About BF4, make sure you have 64-monitoring enabled in RadeonPro. Also if you have RadeonPro set to start when you log on into Windows, make sure you don't have it set to start minimized because doing so defeats the 64-bit module initialization.